The Community Chest of Port Washington is a not-for-profit organization established in 1949 to raise funds for distribution to local charities dedicated to improving people’s lives. Community Chest funds — your donations — support these charities’ programs in Port Washington, including services for senior citizens, children and teenagers, victims of domestic violence and others in need.
The Community Chest raises funds through its Annual Campaign, which runs from October through May. Recent fundraising initiatives include the Thanksgiving Day Run and the Manhasset Bay Kayak Run. The goal for the 2009-20010 Annual Campaign is $300,000.
Today, the Port Washington Community Chest’s Annual Campaign goal is almost ten times its initial goal, and funds are distributed to 21 local charitable organizations, also called Funded Organizations.
Together, these organizations provide services for an estimated 7,500 - more than one in four — Port Washington residents.
We also provide a number of other services for the community, including:
1. Management of the Port Washington Thanksgiving Day Run.
2. Sponsorship of the Manhasset Bay Kayak Run.
3. Management of the Harold E. Mertz building, for the benefit of the Chest and several other not-for-profit organizations.
4. Providing capital grants to local non-profit organizations.
5. Recognition of local individuals whose work has benefited our community through our Citizen of the Year events.